Only people from Sri Lankan will know these things!
Discover The Sri Lankan WAY
4. You refer to friends by calling them “Machan” instead of “dude”
6. Your parents go to the shop and ask for washing powder as ‘Rinso’
7. You use Siddhalepa, gripe water and Panadol to solve your medical problems
10. When you know that Odel, House of Fashion and Nolimit are the best places to do an entire decade worth of shopping! Online Only Sri Lanka shopping stores like Kapruka, SLStop and fashion stores like Colombo Traders are only now starting to appear…
12. You’re walking out of customs with your trolley at the airport and you see all twenty-five members of your family who have come to pick you up.
13. No one ever seems to call ahead of time to say they are coming over for a visit.
14. At a function or party your parents say that they are leaving, but often take another hour saying goodbye at the door.
15. Whenever something sad happens to anyone or any animal for that matter you automatically say “aney pouuuuuu…
19. Your Parents aren’t afraid to chase you down the street and slap you if you talk back…
21. When you visit your Sri Lankan aunties, they always serve you a plate of lemon puffs and Tang before anything else.
24. When to your parents
a) Scotch tape is called ‘sello tape’,
c) Soap is “Lux” or “Rexona”
d) MSG’s are “Aji-no-moto’
e) and binoculars are “binaCLOSE’
25.) When you know the words to the very annoying ‘Surangani’ and “Ojaye, Ojaye” songs…(NOTE: and now that you have been reminded, these songs automatically start playing in your head)
27. You get invited to dinner at an “uncles” house for 7:00pm; You get there at 8:30 and dinner is served at 11:58 pm; The arrack induced fathers start singing at 1:00 am while the mothers start making idle chit chat about the “old days in Sri Lanka”…By 3:00am your “auntie” forces you to drink coffee so that you can get a good nights sleep when you get home at 6:00 AM.
29. Everyone is a family friend.
30. When you know that Thambili is not only a fruit, but a color, a cure for diarrhea and a way to solve hangover-related issues!
31. When you see aunties/uncles you haven’t seen in a long time they give you the Sri Lankan”sniff kiss” where by:
a. They bring their cheek up to your cheek
b. The sniff
32. When your version of cookies and milk equals to”Marie biscuits” and Pure Ceylon Tea.
39. When you still continue to smile
40. When you think how happy and how proud you are to be a Sri Lankan.